Well, it was finished back in November, so I’m really behind. Anyway…we’ve pretty much finished the first room (1 of 12 plus halls/stairs! ouch.) Where the side porch had been enclosed long ago we built a full bath and sort of mud room off the side entrance. The mud room is still half-stripped paint and subfloor, but the bath has been painted and tiled. Whoo-hoo!
We chose a white subway tile from Subway Ceramics for the walls and a gorgeous (read GORGEOUS!) black/white marble basket weave for the floor. I had wanted to tackle this tile job myself, but with the 1/16″ grout lines for the subway tiles the slightest errors really show. Add that to the old house crooked walls and floors and it can be a recipe for disaster.
We wound up using a contractor who had actually come out for an estimate on something completely different. We had contacted Martin Leska of Leska Remodeling originally to repair our siding and get it ready for paint. While he was measuring and taking notes he kind of mentioned some of the other specialties of his company and tile came up. I had him price up the bathroom and side entrance, but we hadn’t even chosen the mudroom tile yet. Still haven’t!
He started by laying cement board to stiffen the whole floor…the slightest give in a tile backing and cracks are imminent.
He then put down the floor basket weave. I would have thought the walls would come first so the floor won’t be damaged before it’s set, but I guess I was wrong! The floor had to go down first so that the cove base tile could rest on top of the flooring and produce a watertight barrier.
Next came the subway tile…
The final product was really beautiful. We used the sink that came with the house, but had to buy a new commode to meet code.
Finally the tub and shower went in. We bought a salvaged tub from The Backdoor Warehouse in DC last year and repainted the exterior. The interior finish was still in really good shape…a couple of water stains but no real finish wear. The faucet and shower ring were all reproductions from a plumbing hardware company.
You can see in the photo behind the tub the original siding from the house’s exterior.
Everything really tied in nicely. All that’s left is finding a mirror and restoring the window.